The Academy Gazette

The Student News Site of Academy of American Studies

The Academy Gazette

The Academy Gazette

A passionate journey:  Mr. Lafleur’s dedication to teaching and impacting student’s lives

To Evens Lafleur, teaching is not merely just a profession but a lifelong calling that has been ingrained in him since childhood. With nearly two decades of teaching experience, Lafleur’s journey is a testament to his unwavering commitment to his genuine desire to positively impact the lives of his students.

Early Years

While he was a student in his younger years, Lafleur found joy in helping his peers through means of helping them with their studies after school hours and through group work. Little did he know that those same experiences would eventually shape his future and lead him to his career in teaching at Academy. Despite tutoring peers as a student, the idea of being a teacher only solidified during his college years.

In college, Lafleur came to a realization that teaching was not just a career choice, stating, “I didn’t choose the profession, the profession chose me.”   This revelation guided him to pursue what he’d love to do, which is to teach others and pursue the idea of a career in education. 

Teaching Experience so Far

Before he taught French at Academy, he taught math as a substitute teacher, even though he was not licensed to teach math. This was one of many examples of how he has always shown dedication to provide his students with the best learning experience through his adaptability. As for why he’d become a French teacher, Lafleur double majored in French and Computer Science, and after making a conscious decision he stuck with French education when it came to his teaching career.

Now after two decades of teaching, Lafleur has now been an integral part of Academy, where he not only teaches French but also serves as a dean. He expresses how much of a pleasure it is to be able to walk into Academy and “work with not only [his] students but also oversee the entire student population.” He truly enjoys teaching and impacting the lives of the younger generation through his advice.

Life Beyond Teaching

Outside of his Academy, Lafleur enjoys spending time with his family. He loves sports, particularly soccer, tennis, and biking. He supports teams such as Barcelona FC, and on an international level, he supports Brazil’s national team. 

Teaching Philosophy

Lafleur finds that the best thing about his profession is the satisfaction of being a part of his former students’ success. One memorable experience of his would be a time in which a former student attended the college he graduated from, graduating to become a doctor. Success stories like these are why Evens Lafleur truly loves what he does as a teacher. He stresses that teaching is not just a job for monetary gain, but a heartfelt commitment to shaping the lives of individuals. 

In parting, LaFleur offers some advice for aspiring teachers, saying “you’re not doing it for the money… you’re doing it for human beings… you’re doing it from the heart.” 

Donate to The Academy Gazette

Your donation will support the student journalists of Academy of American Studies. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.