The Academy Gazette

The Student News Site of Academy of American Studies

The Academy Gazette

The Academy Gazette

Opening doors: exploring high school internship opportunities at Citi Field

In the bustling neighborhood of Flushing, Queens, Citi Field has become more than just a baseball stadium; it’s a hub for high schoolers seeking valuable work experience. Every summer, Citi Field opens its doors to eager students, offering a multitude of job opportunities within its premises. From ticket sales to concessions, groundskeeping to customer service, the options are as diverse as the students themselves.

Afnan Azad, who has previously participated in the Citi Field internship program, underscores its importance. “It’s an essential experience,” she remarks, reflecting on her journey through the application process and subsequent employment. Her insight offers valuable guidance to prospective applicants, shedding light on what to expect and how to navigate the program effectively.

However, not every student finds satisfaction in their assigned roles. Sinead Kiernan, student activities director at the Academy of American Studies, advises those feeling disheartened, stating, “It’s crucial to make the most of your experience, regardless of the position you’re in.” Kiernan’s perspective highlights the importance of resilience and adaptability in the workplace, qualities that extend far beyond the confines of Citi Field.

Despite any initial reservations, the promise of financial compensation serves as a motivating factor for many applicants. Concerns about pay rates are common among prospective employees, yet they are often outweighed by the prospect of gaining valuable skills and experience. As one applicant puts it, “The pay may not be the highest, but the experience is invaluable.”

Yet, as summer approaches, some students grapple with the fear of missing out on traditional teenage experiences. While their peers revel in carefree days, those employed at Citi Field may find themselves tethered to their responsibilities. However, for many, the trade-off is worth it. The opportunity to gain hands-on experience, forge connections, and build a strong work ethic outweighs any fleeting moments of summer freedom.

Whether or not Citi Field extends an offer of employment, the experience of applying alone is invaluable. It fosters resilience, determination, and a sense of responsibility in young individuals, preparing them for the challenges that lie ahead. For high schoolers everywhere, the prospect of interning at Citi Field represents more than just a summer job—it’s a stepping stone towards a brighter future.

Donate to The Academy Gazette

Your donation will support the student journalists of Academy of American Studies. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.