The Academy Gazette

The Student News Site of Academy of American Studies

The Academy Gazette

The Academy Gazette

Senior picnic: what to expect

The senior picnic is an annual event in which seniors gather in the courtyard in late May to create fun, long lasting memories with each other. 

Relatively young, the tradition began two years ago since the senior advisor changed. It is free of charge, its fees included in senior dues that were paid in October. The Senior Committee puts a lot of effort into the timing of the event, its catering, and its activities. Members of the committee said there is a high chance it’ll take place on a Wednesday during office hours, from 2PM to 4PM.

In addition to their current preparation, student government member Elizabeth Cepeda says there are a lot of reasons as to why seniors should attend. “During the event, we will be ordering food, signing each other’s mugs, playing games and more!” The games included span from Connect 4 to chess—and basketball game hoops will also be available.

Compared to last year’s picnic, the Senior Committee is improving the event by listening to the feedback of others. For example, Fatima Asif, a past senior, revealed her experience. “The only activity they had was making tie-dye shirts,” Asif said. 

If students were not interested in participating, they were either eating or doing nothing. She felt that although most of the graduating class attended, there was very little available that students could do in the time provided. 

To add on, the food catering was said to be unsatisfactory to those with specific dietary restrictions. “The only other option they had was a vegetarian sandwich.” Food was given out in a small box containing three items: a cookie, a drink, and a sandwich. Asif thought the food was disappointing and that there were many points Academy could build upon to create a more enjoyable experience. “I would like more activities that are picked by the students so more people could have fun.” 

The Senior Committee is working hard to make this year’s senior picnic successful and enjoyable for everyone. They are making sure that there are several options from students to choose from, in order to encourage seniors to come. 

The organizers are also aiming to level up the senior gift, hope to include different types of shirts, and a broad variety of games to make sure that everyone participates.

Cepeda reminds seniors that Student Government posts essential information for them on the senior class Google Classroom. “By displaying posters and utilizing announcements, we strive to make all seniors aware of everything that is offered at the picnic.”

Donate to The Academy Gazette

Your donation will support the student journalists of Academy of American Studies. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.